Sunday, December 4, 2011

Swimming!!!

We have wanted to put the boys in swimming lessons for a long time, but I always seemed to miss the sign up date, Dilan got tubes in his ears, and after school is always so busy. I finally decided that off-track lessons would probably be our best option. We put the older three in, because most people have told me to wait till your kid is at least four, because they grasp the lessons and principles they need to learn better, and I really don't think Tyler is ready. My kids are like fish, they love the water! Bryson was in the pre-level, because he was only five and hadn't had lessons. Trevor and Dilan started in level one, because they were older and hadn't had lessons. Trev has been able to swim for a while, but we wanted him to learn the proper techniques and different things that go along with swimming. This was good and bad, because he knew how to swim, he thought it was okay to goof off more. As a mom it was so frustrating to see him goofing off with his instructor, but I have to say his teacher had a lot of patience and really kept his cool....I was going nuts watching him though. I was also trying to hold a super squirmy 18 month old, which added to my frustration. They ended up being the only three to sign up in both classes, so they combined the classes and made one class. This worked out to my benefit in some ways and not so much in others. Tyler's preschool got out the same time as the swim lesson. If it was just Trevor and Dilan I would have felt better grabbing Tyler from school, and coming back for them, but I just couldn't do this with a five year old. Wednesdays were super busy mornings, but the boys loved swimming and it made it all worth it in the end.
Here they are on the side listening to their teacher.



and here is Bryson on his back



I wish I could have gotten more and better pictures, but Kairi really hated sitting there for the 30 minute lesson, and my phone (which is the only camera I usually have on me) was busy trying to keep her busy with either a cartoon or game. The swim lessons were a big success for two main reasons. First, they learned to swim a little bit better and second, it gave them something to do every other day while off track. It made off track time so much more fun, and seemed to make time just fly by. We plan to do another round of lessons next time they are off track too :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea. I'm glad it all worked out and that the boys had fun.

    ReplyDelete