Sunday, October 24, 2010

PUMPKINS!!!

To me Pumpkins are the root of Halloween. I know for my kids the dressing up and trick or treating is their favorite, but I love doing the pumpkins. We went to the same pumpkin patch we did last year, but it wasn't dark and cold, so we actually got to enjoy ourselves. The boys loved the free corn maze. I loved that Tyler could go by himself and feel so proud he found his way back out. We had a great ride on the tractor ride, which Trevor insisted was a haystack ride, loved it!

Our rule for picking out pumpkins is, if you can pick it up by yourself and carry it to the wheel barrow, you can have it.

The boys are super cute with this, because Bryson tried to get a bigger one, but couldn't carry it, so he said "Oh man, that one was way too heavy." Trevor always gets the biggest one he can and struggles to get it, but always somehow manages to get it up and in.


We got our pumpkins last week, but haven't had time to carve them until tonight. For obvious safety reason we use the knives, and most of the boys aren't strong enough for the safety cutters. We cut off the top and have the boys clean out the middles. They were pretending to sneeze out the goop, called it orange ghost poop, and acting like it was puke. I love how creative they were this year doing these pumpkins. We helped finish cleaning them out, let them draw what faces they want, and we cut out what they drew.



I love how cute they all turn out. It is so fun just letting them use their imagination and have fun. This years were some of my favorites :)



Dilan was so cute with his, and very impatient with the picture



Trevor of course had to pose with his, he is so funny!



Kairi's has the bottom tooth like her.



Tyler loved doing his this year, he was very proud!



Bryson wanted a Jack from The Nightmare before Christmas and I think his turned out so cute! He told us that is the pumpkin he always wanted...ha ha
Spencer and I actually dug out most of the seeds this year and will cook them up, yum! The boys can't believe that people eat the seeds, so hopefully they will actually try them. I am now more in a Halloween spirit and I am getting more excited with the boys. It is so fun with them getting older and loving to do these fun things, it was a really great fun family night!

5 comments:

  1. Your kids are adorable, first of all. I can't wait until Quinn is old enough to "get" the holidays. I also love pumpkins! I hate cleaning them out, but I love the tradition of carving them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Kairi lift her own pumpkin into the wheeelbarrow!?! :)
    So fun! I'm glad you all had a good time. I can't imagine cleaning all those pumpkin guts out so I'm glad you made the boys do it. I love Bryson's pumpkin because of the huge nose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pumpkins and the kids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryson looks like he had one of the biggest pumpkins! They all turned out great...I love to see how different and creative all the personalities of your boys can be : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great tradition - one we have started with Isaac this year, too! I'm going to have to remember the weight limit idea you guys have for the future! I love how the kids draw their faces and you guys carve them exactly like they are drawn. Makes for some classic pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete